Sunday 11 May 2008

Weekly Geek # 3


This week’s theme comes from Samantha, who suggested that one week we all write about our fond memories of childhood books.

As a child I used to go every Saturday to the library get out the maximum six books and read them all in a week - I think I maxed out the kids and teenage section of the library pretty fast.

My 3 top childhood reads:
My Girl: The novel of the film with Maculay Culkin in it. I must have been around 11 or 12 and read it over and over again, it used to make me cry loads - when a friend died when I was 13 I would read the funeral scene in this over and over as it was my way of letting out what I was feeling. Anyway I leant the book to someone and never saw it again.

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe: I got into this after the BBC made a TV adaptation of it in weekly instalments, we all used to sit around as a family and watch it at tea time on a Sunday evening. I must have been about 9 years old. I loved the book even more, I think it is that idea of being able to escape into another world that all kids love, also a world where there are no parents in charge and the kids have to face and solve the problems themselves.

The third would have to be a Roald Dahl book - probably Charlie and the Chocolate Factory as I loved the family with all the old grandparents in the bed together. I got into his books at around 6 or 7 and read them for years.

No comments: