Thursday 24 July 2008

My Thoughts: The Secrets We Keep by Mary Alice Monroe


Yay! I finally read a book for the Southern Reading Challenge! I've been reading Gone With the Wind forever and I've still got masses to go so I thought I should start picking up my other Southern reads.


This book is set in balmy North Carolina. The Blakey family has to come to terms with the sudden stroke of their previously active father and the prospect that they may lose the family home and land which has been with the family for many generations. This tragdey brings the family together and lets out more than a few family secrets.


Now this is far more my Mums type of book, I brought it in one of those 3 for 2 book deals where I was just searching out anything that could be the free book, and this is what came out. The book has sat on the shelves for a few years after going on hols somewhere sunny with my Mum, and it seemed more attractive than The Awakening which I can't seem to make myself pick up. It was a fairly good read once I got past the first 50 pages, kind of a holiday read, something easy for the beach or plane, and it certainly won't be recieving any rewards as a great piece of literature. But it's a good 'feel good read'.


Challenges:




If you have read this book, please leave a link to your review in my comments

No comments: