Tuesday 12 August 2008

My Thoughts: A Woman of My Age by Nina Bawden (incl spoilers)


This is going to be a very short reveiw. I'm participating in an African Bookbox (I get sent a bunch of African books in a box, take out how many boxs I want, replace thm with that many books set in Africa, then post them to the next person), and I needed another book. This book is set in Morocco so this book got picked. Now this isn't a typical African novel, but I'm hoping that it will be a good thing to have something a little different from whats expected in the box.

This novel is about an English couple, in their early 40s, they take a holiday away to Morocco. They have a fairly loveless marriage, which the woman tries to sort out in her head whilst on this holiday. She thinks back over the past and the present situation (she catches her husband with another woman, then she sleeps with a much older man), she tries to work out whether she should stay with him or leave.

It's a fairly basic plot, and a very easy read. It was interesting to read a book about marriage in the 1960s, its shocking that it wasn't that long ago that women accepted being hit, or their husband having an affair.
Challenges:
20th Century Project (1967) Book 11 of 100

No comments: