Friday 4 December 2009

My final challenge for 2010

2010 Social Justice Reading Challenge


I decided in 2010 to cut back on challenges, no more than 6 open at one time. This is my final one, I've been holding back till I found a Non-Fiction challenge which will challenge me and this one looked ideal.

The Social Justice Challenge is held here looked perfect to get me reading about things in the real world and also broaden my knowledge.
The description of the challenge:

Reading opens new worlds to us and can sometimes expose the injustice in our own. We have all been powerfully moved by the injustice we have learned about in books and decided we wanted to host a reading project that would encourage us to learn more about these issues in the world.

It can sometimes be overwhelming and disheartening to read about the powerful obstacles others in the world face. So this reading challenge is different. Not only will we be encouraging you to learn about issues of social injustice in the world through books, essays, blogs, and other media–we will also be challenging you to take an action step and make a difference as a result of what you’ve learned. Let’s put our knowledge into action and make a difference!

We have chosen to focus each month on a different area of social injustice in the world. During that month, we are asking that you read something from the list of resources or watch something suggested by that month’s host. That will complete step one of this challenge: Learn.

Throughout the month we will also be posting ways you can make a difference in this area. Don’t worry, we will provide several different options at many different levels of commitment. The important thing is to take an action step towards doing something to change things! That fulfills step 2–Take Action.

We realize that as the year goes on some months will be busier for you than others. Some themes may be more important to you personally than others. So the challenge is customizable each month to fit your needs by the month.

When you sign up the Social Justice Challenge you are committing to 12 months participation. The amount you participate each month, however, is up to you.

Activist–At this level you are agreeing to participate fully in the activities of the month. You will read at least one full length book as well as choosing something from the other media list. You will also complete an action step. By signing up for the challenge, you agree to do a minimum of 3 months at this level. You do not have to decide which months in advance.

Intern–You agree to either read something from the reading resources (it can be an essay or children’s book) or choose to do something from the other media list. You will complete an action step. You do not have to decide which months in advance.

Volunteer– You agree to read at least one of the recommended blog posts, essays or shorter novels. You will complete an action step. You do not have to decide in advance which months they will be.

Observer — Need a break? Just follow along with the blog for the month. This month has no commitment level. You can only do a maximum of three months at this level.

Topics covered, Jan - Dec in order:
Religious Freedom
Water
Domestic Violence & Child Abuse
Hunger
AIDS Crisis
Genocide
Poverty
Illiteracy and Education
Modern Day Slavery
Homelessness & Refugees
Women’s Rights
Child Soldiers & Children in War


My participation will be varied throughout, I'm hoping to be able to read a book a month but know that this may be a struggle with my other commitments. I'm looking forward to seeing what the activites involve and taking part. I'll be planning my reading a month in advance to give me a chance to grab the books, for January I have ordered Sorrow Mountain: The Journey of a Tibetan Warrior Nun as my non-fiction read, I also hope to read Anil's Ghost by Ondaatje which I think I have on my shelves somewhere.

1 comment:

Hector Macdonald said...

Hi Katrina

I can't find an email address for you, so please forgive me intruding on your comment wall. I’d like to invite you to write about your favorite books at www.bookdrum.com, where you can add information, images, video, music and links to illustrate and explore the books.

Right now, we're running a $3,000 Tournament and we'll be offering contract work to the best entries.

Best wishes

Hector Macdonald
Editor, Book Drum